From 1 July 2022, the Department has improved access to permanent residence for TSS visa holders (Short Term Stream) who chose to stay in Australia during the pandemic.
Subclass 482 visa holders (Short Term Stream) using Subclass 186 – Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream
Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) subclass 482 visa holders in the short-term stream will be able to apply for permanent residence through the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream of the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) subclass 186 visa.
To be eligible TSS visa holders must:
- have been in Australia for at least one year between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021
- meet all other nomination and visa requirements for the TRT stream of the ENS visa.
This pathway will be available for two years from 1 July 2022.
Third TSS Visa
Eligible former TSS visa holders, who have worked in Australia during the COVID-19 pandemic can also apply for a third short-term stream TSS visa while in Australia. This will assist prospective applicants to remain in Australia and meet nomination requirements for an ENS visa under the TRT stream.
To be eligible applicants must:
- have held not more than two short-term stream TSS visas
- have been in Australia between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021 for at least one year while holding a TSS (Short-term stream) visa
- meet all other nomination and visa requirements for the TSS (Short-term stream) visa.
To apply for a TSS visa applicants must hold a substantive or bridging (A, B or C) visa at the time of application.
The third TSS visa will be accessible for one year from 1 July 2022.